Latin America Strategy
We are an active, long-only equity investment business with stewardship at the heart of our investment philosophy and culture since 1988.
Our investment team is an Edinburgh-based team of investors focused on Global Emerging Markets equities, including Latin America and Frontier markets.
We have a long history of investing in emerging markets portfolios since 1992 and launched our Latin America strategy in 2009.
Backing companies for longer periods of time requires us to think about what determines long-term success. Our focus is simply on owning the best quality companies we can find, where we believe a business is governed effectively and in the interests of all stakeholders and where valuations are acceptable.
|Launch date||14 April 2009|
|Fund size||GBP 121 million|
|Investment team||St Andrews Partners – team of 9|
|Benchmark||MSCI EM Latin America Index|
|Number of holdings||25-50 (current 38)|
|Universe||Companies with >50% economic exposure to Latin America – regardless of listing|
|Investment horizon||Long-term – minimum 5 years|
Data as at 30 June 2020
Why Latin America?
• Our enthusiasm for the prospects of Latin American markets is based on the general premises of the advantages of low cost production and consumption potential and the growing rejection of inward-looking political policies.
• We believe that the best way to capture these opportunities and deliver acceptable returns for our clients is not by investing in countries, sectors or following benchmarks but to invest in the very best companies we can find.
• We have always been happy owning companies listed globally, who make the majority of their money in Latin America, if we think they are good investments for our clients.
Why Stewart Investors for Latin America?
• Risk to us is losing our clients’ money not underperforming a benchmark - we know we cannot predict economic futures but we can try not to be on the wrong side of stock market history.
• Our focus is long-term and on company fundamentals such as management, financials, culture and history rather than benchmark constituents, short-term industry noise and enthusiasm.
• We have learned over the years that it isn’t necessarily the biggest companies which survive and prosper, it is those which can evolve.
Latin America overview
Read more about how we invest in Latin America
Latin America webcast
Listen to Millar Mathieson, Co-Portfolio Manager of our Latin America strategy
Quarterly investment report
The Q2 Quarterly Client Update will be available soon
For more information please contact us at: email@example.com.